Alert: Insolvency Practitioner identity fraud and scam websites – click here

Membership & Licence

Application for Membership & Licence to act as an Insolvency Practitioner 2020

Application for Individual Ordinary Membership [2020] for an applicant who can show that he/she:

  • Has passed the Joint Insolvency Examination (JIE) set by the Joint Insolvency Examination Board (JIEB) and been engaged in the three years immediately before applying in insolvency administration involving not less than 600 hours higher experience in insolvency administration [see Membership Criteria]; or
  • Holds a current authorisation to act as an IP from another recognised professional body or competent authority.

Application for Licence to act as an Insolvency Practitioner [2020] for an applicant who, whether or not intending to take appointments can show that he/she:

  • is fit and proper to act as an Insolvency Practitioner (IP);
  • meets acceptable requirements as to qualifications and practical training and experience; and
  • has undertaken relevant continuing professional education; and, in respect of an applicant intending to take appointments, can show that he/she:.
  • has in place security or caution, and insurance, for the proper performance of their functions. Further details of the membership criteria are provided in the IPA Authorisation Criteria.


  • If you wish to apply for membership of the IPA but NOT a licence to act as an Insolvency Practitioner, you should use this form.
  • If you would like to renew a current IPA licence, you will be sent the renewal form prior to the expiry of your current licence.
  • Continuity of Licence: If you are seeking to move your licence from another RPB or the Secretary of State to the IPA, you should ordinarily ensure that your application is received at the IPA by no later than six weeks before your current licence is due to expire to allow time for checks and any queries to be cleared, and for consideration by the Regulation & Conduct Committee.
    Please note that you cannot act as an IP if your authorisation lapses and you have yet to be issued with another one.
  • In the event that your application is granted, you will be required to relinquish any current licence issued by another RPB or the Secretary of State from the date that your IPA authorisation is effective.

Eligibility (Examination/Qualifications/Authorisation):

If you wish to apply for a Personal only licence then you will need to have passed the Personal only paper of the Joint Insolvency Examination. if you are applying for a Corporate only licence, then you must have passed the Liquidations, and Administrations, Company Voluntary Arrangements
(CVAs) & Receiverships papers. For a full insolvency licence, then all three papers must be sat and passed.

We would also consider your application, if you have acquired non-Great Britain professional or vocational qualifications; and/or submit a copy of your current licence obtained abroad.

Eligibility (Insurance and Bonding)

An appointment taker IP is required by the IPA Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) Regulations to have PII cover; and by the Insolvency Practitioners Regulations to have a general penalty (enabling) bond for £250,000, together with specific penalty bonds in relation to individual insolvencies to which he/she is appointed.

Please provide with your application a copy of your current general penalty bond or a copy of a quotation document evidencing that you have applied for such a bond and confirmation that such a bond will be issued upon successful completion of this application.

On the issue of an appointment taker licence, the original enabling bond will be required to be submitted to, and is retained by, the IPA.

Experience: Qualifications

An applicant for a licence is required to have passed the Joint Insolvency Examination (JIE) set by the JIEB; or in the case of an eligible
applicant from another member state of the European Economic Area, that he/she complies with the requirements of the EC Qualifications Regulations.

If the applicant passed the JIE more than ten years before his/her application, he/she may be required to re-sit it unless he/she can show that in the intervening period he/she has maintained his/her knowledge and understanding of personal insolvency law, procedures and practice at a level and to the extent required by the JIEB.

An applicant for a licence, whether based on having been previously licensed or on having passed the JIE or having satisfied the EC Qualifications Regulations, is required to show his/her ability to carry out unsupervised the functions and duties of an IP based on having been engaged during the three years immediately before applying in work relating to the administration of estates in respect of which an insolvency practitioner has been appointed involving not less than 600 hours higher experience in insolvency administration Generally, an applicant will be expected to have been engaged in insolvency administration for not less than 100 hours in each of the three years before applying.

The Regulation & Conduct Committee may at its discretion consider whether and to what extent Advisory Work [see Definition at IPA Membership Criteria Appendix I] at an equivalent level may be taken into account in its assessment of the adequacy of the applicant’s overall experience; and it may at its discretion accept engagement in insolvency
administration of less than 100 hours in any of the three years before applying.

An applicant must have a good command of the English language, both spoken and written; and the Regulation & Conduct Committee may ask to be satisfied as to his/her proficiency in English.

If you rely on work experience outside the Great Britain, you may be asked to demonstrate that you have a good command of the English language.

Please provide certification of your experience and particularly of your higher insolvency work experience, from one or more of the IPs for whom you have worked. The certification may be made on the application itself or may be provided separately.

Please download our sponsor guidance letter.

Continuing Professional Education (CPE)

The IPA requirements in relation to CPE are set out in its CPE Guidance. Essentially, it requires a minimum 25 hours structured CPE during each year, which may include attending or speaking at courses, conferences,
seminars and lectures which may have been organised by the IPA or other commercial course and conference providers, in-house or by other professionals and their firms. When your application is being considered, or subsequently, you should be able to produce details and evidence of courses and conferences attended and of other CPE undertaken.

Fitness and Probity

The IPA may make such further and other enquiries of third parties as it considers appropriate as to your fitness and probity to be an IP licensed by it.


You should immediately notify the IPA of any changes in your practice
before or after your licence is issued, including changes to where you work; changes to where your cases are administered; and changes to your nominated successor IP (or ‘alternate’).